Rippers Resurrected: Collateral Evil
Born A Hero
During character creation, heroes may ignore the Rank qualifications for Edges. They must still have any other requirements as usual. The usual rules for Rank requirements apply after the character is created.
When a character rolls double 1’s on a Trait roll, he can’t spend a Benny—he’s stuck with the critical failure.
When a Wild Card enemy character is hit by a successful attack, any of his henchmen, goons, or other allies jumps in front of his master and suffers the attack instead.
When a player character draws a Joker during combat, he receives his normal +2 bonus to Trait and damage rolls. In addition, all player characters receive a Benny!
No Power Points
Instead of using Power Points, characters with Arcane Backgrounds simply choose the power they want to activate and make an arcane skill roll. The penalty to the roll is half the power’s usual Power Point cost (rounded down). Casting the armor power, for example, which costs 2 Power Points, is an arcane skill roll at –1.
Once cast, check the results below:
- Success: The power activates as usual.
- Raise: A raise on the roll grants any additional bonuses to the power stated in its description. Armor, for example, grants a + 4 bonus to Toughness with a raise.
- Failure: All currently maintained powers are cancelled and the caster is Shaken.
► Backlash: Channeling magic, spiritual, or psionic energy, tinkering with unstable technology, and even using superpowers all come with certain risks.
If a caster rolls a 1 on the arcane skill die when using one of his powers it automatically fails and he suffers 2d6 damage.
Replace each Arcane Background’s specialized backlash rules with these:
- Magic: Use the above Backlash results.
- Miracles: As above, but the damage is reduced by half the priest’s Faith skill.
- Psionics: Use the above Backlash rules, but the damage is applied to all sentient creatures within a Large Burst Template centered on the psionicist.
- Super Powers: The hero does not suffer damage, but cannot use the power for the rest of this encounter or until he spends a Benny to negate the Backlash.
- Weird Science: As above and the “device” is destroyed and must be rebuilt. This typically takes 1d3+1 hours, minus one hour for every success and raise on the Repair roll.
► Maintaining Powers: Characters can maintain powers as long as desired, but each power maintained inflicts a –1 to cast any new powers. Thus an invisible mage can keep the power going indefinitely, but suffers a –1 penalty if he then attempts to hurl a bolt.
► Interrupting Powers: If a character with an activated power is Shaken or suffers a wound or Fatigue level, he must make a Smarts roll to maintain all his powers. If the roll is failed, all powers are instantly dropped. A wizard with armor who suffers a Shaken result, for example, must make a Smarts roll. If the wizard suffers two wounds from an attack, he must make a Smarts roll at –2. Powers shut down automatically if the caster sleeps or is rendered unconscious.
► Power Preparation: A caster may prepare a spell by concentrating for a round (no movement or other actions and avoid interruption, as described above). If successful, he ignores 2 points of penalties on all powers cast with his next action. If he does not enact any powers on his next action, the preparation is lost.
New Rules and Amendments
When doing things no matter how small or big speaking is key, depending your way of describing the action or task you are attempting to do you can get bonus to your next dice roll.
(Example in chase situation:
-“Ok you don’t have advantage and are falling behind, tell me what happened that caused you to fall back and how you are going to catch up.”
-“I stumbled and knocked some bystander down and slowed to check that she was ok before picking up pace. Now I’m trying to find a way to cut in front of the assailants to get an upper hand next round.”
-“Oh you see a staircase that leads to a rooftop shortcut, make an Agility check to make your way through the children playing on the stairs……you made it, you get a +2 on next rounds chase roll.”)
If you have an idea about new or improved rule or a possible house rule write it up